Is this the way to start off a New Year? By being late? And I’m one who likes to be early. Never mind all that, right? Ahem, where were we? Ah, yes. A New Year. A clean slate. A new day, etc., etc. Oh, a new journal!
I thoroughly enjoyed participating in and creating my own art journal consisting of 4 volumes!! I am still amazed at how much I’ve done, how much I’ve learned and how much I’ve improved!! Practice always does make perfect!
For my first volume of Book of Days 2013, I decided to recycle and re-purpose a couple of empty composition notebooks. I had created the cover but that was about all.
I prepared pages by gluing 3 pages together throughout the notebook. They actually stand up pretty well to all the gesso, paint, gel mediums and ink I slather all over them! In one of the journals, I had glued together 3 pages, left one for journaling, then glued the next 3 and so on. On the single pages, I’m making sure that there is plenty of layers to help stabilize the page. It’s working, too! I also added in a booklet-pamphlet-type program that’s just about the same size as the notebooks.
I wasn’t quite sure what I wanted to art for the first pages, so I just started applying layers of paints that appealed to me that day. It started feeling water-like and the fish appeared, then the plants. I had so much fun just playing and going with the Flow. In a literal sense, too.
Since I’m a water sign, fish have always appealed to me and these were no different. I just experimented with lines and color until it felt “done.” The added journaling gave it the finishing touch it needed.
I was still feeling “blue” so I did what felt “right” Lots of paper, paint and ink layers. I’m going to be journaling directly onto the pages this year so I left one page blank and had so much fun making paper flowers! I started with a circular shape then starting from the outside edge, just tore a spiral all the way to the center. Then I glued them down loosely with gel medium, shaping as I stuck them down. I went around the edges of each flower with oil pastels in different shades of the patterned paper to give the “petals” some added depth. I think they turned out great! I just love them! I painted in the stems and finished the pages with borders. It was a great art week. Bliss!